You have tried your best to permanently control your weight with no success and are now considering weight loss surgery also known as bariatric or metabolic surgery.
Get Informed about Morbid Obesity and Bariatric Surgery
Which weight loss surgery should you have?
- You have a choice between the Gastric Bypass (roux-en-Y gastric bypass) or the Gastric Sleeve ( Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy).
- We recommend the “gold standard” gastric bypass in most cases because of solid results up to 25 years after the surgery.
- We do not recommend adjustable gastric band surgery because of complications 3+ years after the surgery.
- We do not recommend the gastric balloon as it is a temporary procedure, just like the diets you tried and failed.
- The duodenal switch is reserved for special cases e.g. weight over 450 lbs or 220 kg.
- There are many experimental procedures that we do not yet recommend because the long term results are not known (eg. single anastomosis bypass, ilea interposition etc.).
When can you get the surgery?
- We can complete your surgery in 4-6 weeks from the time we receive your completed patient questionnaire.
- If you suffer from certain obesity associated diseases such as heart disease, or lung disease, it may take longer – for your own safety. We need to ‘optimize’ your health to minimize the risk.
- You also get to choose the time that suits you and you will not be cancelled due to emergencies.
What are the costs at your fascility?
- We are a private facility and our surgeons work outside of Medicare (non participating physicians within the meaning of the health act). This means that you (or your insurance) must pay for all the costs.
- You pay one fee and we provide turn-key service for you.
- When you compare costs, make sure you look closely at what is being offered. Most competitors do not offer “turn key” pricing.
- Click here to get more details on our fees and what is included in the “turn-key” price.
Do you need more information?
If you want more information you can fill out a form with your contact details and questions and we will call you within 1 business day to answer your questions.
Ready to start the process towards surgery?
If you are ready proceed with bariatric/metabolic surgery you will need to fill out a detailed health questionnaire. Once received we will call you for an consultation at your earliest convenience.
We are fortunate to have access to a licensed, fully accredited hospital facility in Montreal, Canada with highly trained staff and the latest laparoscopic equipment for bariatric surgery .
This allows us to admit our patients to the hospital (not a hotel room) for 1-2 days after surgery to ensure their safety.
As an added precaution, we have a direct “service corridor” with the McGill University Health Center (MGH Pavillion), a tertiary care bariatric surgery center,where patients can be transferred if the need for intensive care arises.
Morbidly Obese – The journey of three of our patients (please view and give us your thoughts)
Editorial comment by Dr. Christou in Bariatric News.